5 Tips to control and overcome Negative Thoughts
Your mind is this huge repository of thoughts. Just take a second and reflect how many thoughts cross your mind in a day, uncountable, right?
Each of these thoughts carry their own charge, positive or negative and each thought impacts the mind and body, positive thoughts in a positive way and negative thoughts in a negative way.
Hence, it is particularly important that at all times we watch our thinking and actively work towards handling negative thoughts, the minute we encounter them.
So here are five ways to control and overcome negative thoughts, much before such thoughts start impacting your mental and physical health.
1. Avoid triggers: There are some typical situations, events or people that trigger negative thoughts. Try to minimise exposure to such situations, events or people. Choose to do it without any inner conflict and rather with a balanced mindset. Understand that you are doing it for your own mental well-being. If you are not happy, then surely you can't genuinely make other people happy. So do it for Yourself.
However, a point to take care of, do not make it difficult for yourself by further engaging in an array of justifications for your actions. Just Remember, you need to do it for your own health. Because health truly is wealth.
2. Be conscious of your thoughts: Like mentioned earlier, try to watch and reflect on the range of your positive and negative thoughts. At each moment, stop and consciously ask yourself, ‘How Do I Feel?'
By Being conscious of your thoughts you get empowered to quickly shift from a negative state of mind to a positive state of mind. Many people can't come out of their negative state of mind or a bad mood simply because they do not watch their thoughts and hence end up feeling bad or negative. So it is hundred percent necessary to watch your thoughts at all times. And you will see the difference.
3. Keep yourself busy: When there is nothing much to do, or to put differently we are not doing much, our mind automatically wanders to keep itself busy. In this wandering, it often gets caught up in chain of thoughts, first walking, then treading and finally galloping. So much of thinking is definitely not good for health especially when your thoughts are negative.
On the other hand, keeping busy keeps your mind focused on the activity at hand and hinders your thoughts from wandering. Making a productive daily routine can be the first step towards keeping busy. Trying to be productive each day (yes, at least try) goes a long way in keeping your mind and body positive and going. So get in the work mode now.
4. Get some rest: Lack of sleep can have many adverse effects on both physical and mental health. It may cause a sour mood, anxiety, irritability or even anger. It leaves you tired and a breeding ground for irritability, anxiety or a really bad mood. So next time you get caught up with negative thoughts and feelings, take a nap. But do not overdo it, as this is not ‘The’ only way to handle negative thinking but just one of the ways.
5. Listen to music: Music causes a shift in our thinking and emotions. You must have noticed how your thoughts and emotions quickly change with the music/song that you are listening to. Music is sound and sound is frequency and our mind also generates frequencies. Different frequencies generated by the mind like alpha, beta and gamma rays make you feel a different way.
Similarly, soothing music makes you feel mentally relaxed, motivating music makes you feel motivated, sad music makes you sentimental and so on.
So choose the right music…music that uplifts you, that motivates you and that pushes you to your optimal.
Start taking control of your emotions and mood today by making these ways to control and overcome negative thoughts and emotions, your everyday habit. Take control of your thoughts and hence your Life.
1. Your mind is this huge repository of thoughts.
2. Each day uncountable thoughts cross your mind.
3. Each of these thoughts carry their own charge, positive or negative.
4. Ways to control and overcome negative thoughts:
· Avoid triggers: Try to minimise exposure to negative situations, events or people.
· Be conscious of your thoughts: Stop and consciously ask yourself, ‘How Do I Feel? ‘
· Keep yourself busy: Keeping busy keeps your mind focused on the activity at hand and hinders your thoughts from wandering.
· Get some rest: Lack of sleep can have many adverse effects on both physical and mental health. Hence, get some rest.
· Listen to music: Music causes a shift in our thinking and emotions. Choose the right music…music that uplifts you, that motivates you and that pushes you to your optimal.
So, what other ways you follow to overcome and control negative thoughts? Let us know in the comments section.